Friday, April 13, 2012

Hiram's in NJ for a Great Deep Fried Hot Dog

Driving back from work one day through the GWB I finally decided to try Hiram's.  For my fried hot dog fix (it's a Jersey thing), I usually head straight to Rutt's Hut in Clifton.  But after I saw Anthony Bourdain chowing down at Hiram's in Fort Lee, I knew I had to stop by as well.   Just like Rutt's Hut, Hiram's is a NJ hot dog institution that has been open for over 70 years.  And like Rutt's hut, you just get a no-frills atmosphere with just counter-style dining.

At $3 each, it might seem pricey for a dog, but when I ordered two, I was surprised to see how big and plump they were!   The hot dogs were snappier and juicier than Rutt's as well.  They have a number of condiments such as kraut, relish, and a sweet tomato sauce based relish.  I will have to say that Rutt's homemade relish was delicious though, and I could imagine would be delish with these dogs.


The chili cheese fries were just plain awesome here.  For $4 they don't give you a big serving, but the chili they have here and cheese sauce were great.  (You can also get chili cheese dogs).


Zooming out of my hot dog picture you can see I also got a pint of beer.  Yes, they have pints of MGD on $2!  Smaller 12 ounce glasses cost a mere $1.50.


Here's the clip of Hiram's from No Reservations, it's the first six minutes or so of the clip...





Hiram's has a small menu (they also have burgers), but their hot dogs were awesome.  A must try if you're in the area.

Hiram's Roadstand
1345 Palisade Ave
Fort LeeNJ 07024







No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog