Sunday, March 23, 2014

Totto Ramen in Hell's Kitchen...Worth the Long Wait Times!

I have to say a big "thank you" to my fiancee for finally taking me to Totto Ramen this year.  It was definitely worth the wait!  Totto Ramen is her favorite ramen joint, and we tried going there once but changed our minds one weekend when we saw the crazy line outside.  I was told the wait could be as long as two hours at peak times!

The chicken-based broth is clean with the a lot of body, yet didn't taste too salty.  At my first go-round, I had the Totto Spicy Ramen, which was possibly the best bowl of ramen I remember having.  The ingredients seems simple, but the spicy chili paste that's added that gives it a depth of flavor.  The noodles are also homemade and cooked perfectly.  The char-siu pork was nicely seared but still juicy...just perfect.


My fiancee's go-to-bowl is their Miso Ramen, with a saltier instead of spicier finish.  It also comes with a hard boiled egg.


The ramen was so good there we went just several weeks later just after my initial visit!  This time around I ordered the Mega Ramen.This super-garlicky broth comes in an extra big bowl with three types of pork--shredded, seared like the other two, and in big braised chunks.  It's also topped with a generous dusting of fried garlic.  This was also delicious, though I think I prefer the spicy ramen just by a little.




 Just a note that this was the original location; Totto did open a second, bigger space just a block away, but I've yet to try the expansion.  Some of the tips for avoiding large waits is to go right after work, and try to get there before 6pm to snag a spot quicker (both times we went right after work).  If you have to go on a weekend I would suggest going at off-peak times.  

Totto Ramen
366 W52st 
New York, NY 10019
(212) 582-0052

Totto Ramen (second location)
464 W51st
New York, NY 10019
(646) 596-9056 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog